Looking for a freelance writer in Lansing, Michigan?
I have experience writing audio scripts, blogs, comic scripts, flash fiction, freelance articles, novels, short stories, and web content. So, if you need something written, chances are I’ve done it before.
I can write serious or silly, depending on what the project requires. When it comes to the silly side, I can write humor for young readers, all-ages, or adults.
Freelance Article Samples
- Landing in Lansing with a Love for Comics (Lansing Capital Gains, 03.13.13)
- Drawn Together: One Couple’s Love for Anime Brings Shuto Con to Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 04.11.12)
- Search for the Best Pad Thai in Town (Lansing Capital Gains, 02.01.12)
- Cultivating Art in Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 11.16.11 — lead photo is by me too)
- App Makers in Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 10.05.11)
- Celebrating Film in Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 07.13.11)
- Lansing’s Own Beer Hound (Lansing Capital Gains, 04.13.11)
- Behind the Scenes at Ignite Lansing 4.0 (Lansing Capital Gains, 03.02.11)
- Daniel J. Moves Downtown (Lansing Capital Gains, 09.08.2010)
- Building a Healthier Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 02.17.2010)
- Single in the City (Lansing Capital Gains, 01.20.2010)
- Game On, Grow On (Lansing Capital Gains, 01.13.2010)
- Lansing’s International Flavor (Lansing Capital Gains, 11.04.09. Republished on 12.09.09)
- Landing in Lansing: Shirley Saylor (Lansing Capital Gains, 10.07.09)
- Life in Lansing Goes Live (Lansing Capital Gains, 09.16.09)
- Eastside Lansing’s Golden Spoon (Lansing Capital Gains, 09.02.09)
- Bringing Back the Boomerangs (Lansing Capital Gains, 04.29.09)
- Uncle Sam’s New Mix for Old Town (Lansing Capital Gains, 03.04.09)
- Development Editor articles (Lansing Capital Gains, 2.10 – 5.10) 200 word stories focusing on development news about Lansing and Mid-Michigan while serving as Development Editor. I wrote four a week. Sample 1 :: Sample 2 :: Sample 3
I wrote all of the audio scripts for the Magic of Eyri Podcast, and all of the comedy sketch scripts for Ginger and the Geek. When I record a screencast, I write the script as well. I also write scripts for all of my comic strips.
I occasionally write humor posts for Clattertron, and I even has a feature called Amazon Enigmas, where I put a humorous spotlight on some of Amazon’s quirky items. Other blog posts are listed as News.
Notable Humor and News blog posts for Clattertron:
- Survive the NHL Lockout With These Forgotten Hockey Video Games (featured on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy blog)
- Amazon Enigmas: Behold the Horror of Halloween Dog Costumes
- My Prince Lyrics/Rickroll Best Man Speech
- Amazon Enigmas: Star Wars Halloween Pet Costumes
- Surface Pro 3 Pen Hack: Add a Grip From a SumoGrip Pencil
Speaking of blogging, I also taught an adult education class on WordPress and blogging for the Michigan State University Alumni Association Evening College.
Guest Blogs for other websites
- Cthulhu in Pop Culture – for Elder Signs Press
- Resident Evil and Survival Horror in Video Games – for Elder Signs Press
- Science Fiction and Fantasy History Month Goes to the Movies – for Elder Signs Press
- Lansing Capital Gains Guest Blogs (these were the first stories Daniel wrote for Lansing Capital Gains, and they led to his becoming a paid feature writer)
- Gamers’ Club, In the Queue, and In the Dark (Without the Guilt) for The Idler, an online magazine with the motto “Refusing to apologize for the things we enjoy.”
- High Noon Fantasy Hockey for IllegalCurve.com – a weekly column containing fantasy hockey news, tips and advice (came to an end in 2009).
- Movie reviews for Lost Highways B-Movie Reviews and Cult Films – satirical film reviews written as the character Tiger Sixon.
- Lansing Restaurant Examiner for Examiner.com – reviews of restaurants around Lansing.
The Magic of Eyri – A satirical fantasy novel I wrote and self-published in 2007. Self-publishing a novel was quite the experience, as I had to do all of the publishing tasks myself. This meant learning desktop publishing, including how to format a book for print, designing the front and back cover, and promoting the novel.
You can read the first four chapters for free.
In the spring of 2009, I began producing a free audio podcast version of The Magic of Eyri, and did most of the voice acting myself. I would like to have the novel version republished by a traditional publisher at some point (after I give it another edit or two).
Riddle of the White Gun – A humorous-spaghetti-Western-urban-steampunk-fantasy. Finished, but unpublished.
Em – A humorous sci-fi adventure set in an abandoned futuristic amusement park. Currently working on the first draft (October 2017).
Big Water (about 4,000 words, unpublished). A Lake Superior inspired horror about a podcaster experiencing strange events in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Slow and Steady (about 3,900 words, unpublished). A Steampunk retelling of the Tortoise and the Hare fable with anthropomorphic characters.
A Queen’s Tale (about 10,000 words, unpublished). This story is a humorous retelling of the fairy tale, Rumpelstiltskin. Written in First Person point of view, it follows the misadventures of Agnes as she rises from being a miller’s daughter to Queen.