Want to learn WordPress? Are you a member of the Arts Council of Greater Lansing? Good news! If you are a member, you can take a free WordPress workshop, taught by me!
Wait, don’t run away!
When is the WordPress Workshop?
The workshop is next Monday, November 27 at 6PM. It goes until 9PM. There will be a short break or two.
What Does the WordPress Workshop Cover?
The goal of the workshop is for an artist to learn the basics of using wordpress.com to build a portfolio site on their own. Three hours isn’t enough time for someone to build a totally complete site.
I spent weeks overhauling danieljhogan.com, and I already had all of the content. It is on the artist to make their site on their own after the workshop, but I will give them the know-how to do so. This is just a primer on how to use a content management system (CMS) like WordPress.
I will cover:
- Creating an account and website on wordpress.com
- The pros/cons of paying to host a website or using a free service
- How to select the look of a WordPress site by changing its “theme”
- Adding pages to your website (what kind and what they should say)
- Adding blog posts to your website and blog post writing tips
- How to add photos, videos and links to your pages and blog posts
- Information on preparing images for use on your site (size, quality, etc.)
- Adding sidebars to your site and what they should contain
- Q & A
- Other topics as time allows include, SEO/online writing tips, social media, using HTML, newsletters and more
Yes, it’s a lot to cover in three hours, but it will be OK. To compare, when I taught a similar class for the MSU Evening College a few years ago, it was four weeks of three-hour classes (12 hours total).
I’ll hit on the important basics, like creating pages, adding images, making links, and embedding kitten videos.
How to Attend
If you are a member of the Arts Council of Greater Lansing, RSVP to Meghan Martin at email@example.com. Space is limited! So RSVP as soon as you can.
Hope to see you there!