Daniel has experience writing audio scripts, blogs, comic scripts, flash fiction, freelance articles, novels, short stories, and web content. He can write serious or silly, depending on what the project requires. When it comes to the silly side, Daniel can write humor for young readers, all-ages, or adults.
Freelance Article Samples
- Landing in Lansing with a Love for Comics (Lansing Capital Gains, 03.13.13)
- Drawn Together: One Couple’s Love for Anime Brings Shuto Con to Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 04.11.12)
- Search for the Best Pad Thai in Town (Lansing Capital Gains, 02.01.12)
- Cultivating Art in Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 11.16.11 — lead photo is by me too)
- App Makers in Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 10.05.11)
- Celebrating Film in Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 07.13.11)
- Lansing’s Own Beer Hound (Lansing Capital Gains, 04.13.11)
- Behind the Scenes at Ignite Lansing 4.0 (Lansing Capital Gains, 03.02.11)
- Daniel J. Moves Downtown (Lansing Capital Gains, 09.08.2010)
- Building a Healthier Lansing (Lansing Capital Gains, 02.17.2010)
- Single in the City (Lansing Capital Gains, 01.20.2010)
- Game On, Grow On (Lansing Capital Gains, 01.13.2010)
- Lansing’s International Flavor (Lansing Capital Gains, 11.04.09. Republished on 12.09.09)
- Landing in Lansing: Shirley Saylor (Lansing Capital Gains, 10.07.09)
- Life in Lansing Goes Live (Lansing Capital Gains, 09.16.09)
- Eastside Lansing’s Golden Spoon (Lansing Capital Gains, 09.02.09)
- Bringing Back the Boomerangs (Lansing Capital Gains, 04.29.09)
- Uncle Sam’s New Mix for Old Town (Lansing Capital Gains, 03.04.09)
- Development Editor articles (Lansing Capital Gains, 2.10 – 5.10) 200 word stories focusing on development news about Lansing and Mid-Michigan while serving as Development Editor. I wrote four a week. Sample 1 :: Sample 2 :: Sample 3
Daniel wrote all of the audio scripts for the Magic of Eyri Podcast, and all of the comedy sketch scripts for Ginger and the Geek. When he records a screencast, Daniel writes the script as well. Daniel also write scripts for all of his comic strips.
Daniel occasionally writes humor posts for Clattertron, and even has a feature called Amazon Enigmas, where he put a humorous spotlight on some of Amazon’s quirky items. Other blog posts are listed as News.
Notable Humor and News blog posts for Clattertron:
- Survive the NHL Lockout With These Forgotten Hockey Video Games (featured on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy blog)
- Amazon Enigmas: Behold the Horror of Halloween Dog Costumes
- My Prince Lyrics/Rickroll Best Man Speech
- Amazon Enigmas: Star Wars Halloween Pet Costumes
- Surface Pro 3 Pen Hack: Add a Grip From a SumoGrip Pencil
Speaking of blogging, Daniel also taught an adult education class on WordPress and blogging for the Michigan State University Alumni Association Evening College.
Guest Blogs for other websites
- How to Speak Geek for CiesaDesign
- Great Moments in Plaid on TV and Film for Plaidurday
- Cthulhu in Pop Culture – for Elder Signs Press
- Resident Evil and Survival Horror in Video Games – for Elder Signs Press
- Science Fiction and Fantasy History Month Goes to the Movies – for Elder Signs Press
- Lansing Capital Gains Guest Blogs (these were the first stories Daniel wrote for Lansing Capital Gains, and they led to his becoming a paid feature writer)
- Gamers’ Club, In the Queue, and In the Dark (Without the Guilt) for The Idler, an online magazine with the motto “Refusing to apologize for the things we enjoy.”
- Mansense – a humor column for man Up Magazine, a Lansing based magazine. DJ and the Bear, Turtle Power, Guilty Pleasures, Ice Cream.
- High Noon Fantasy Hockey for IllegalCurve.com – a weekly column containing fantasy hockey news, tips and advice (came to an end in 2009).
- Movie reviews for Lost Highways B-Movie Reviews and Cult Films – satirical film reviews written as the character Tiger Sixon.
The Magic of Eyri – A satirical fantasy novel Daniel wrote and self-published in 2007. Self-publishing a novel was quite the experience, as Daniel had to do all of the publishing tasks himself. This meant learning desktop publishing, including how to format a book for print, designing the front and back cover, and promoting the novel.
You can read the first four chapters for free.
In the spring of 2009, Daniel began producing a free audio podcast version of The Magic of Eyri, and did most of the voice acting himself. Daniel would like to have the novel version republished by a traditional publisher at some point (after I give it another edit or two).
Riddle of the White Gun – A humorous-spaghetti-Western-urban-steampunk-fantasy. Finished, but unpublished.
Em – A humorous sci-fi adventure set in an abandoned futuristic amusement park. Currently working on the first draft (October 2016).
Big Water (about 4,000 words, unpublished). A Lake Superior inspired horror about a podcaster experiencing strange events in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Slow and Steady (about 3,900 words, unpublished). A Steampunk retelling of the Tortoise and the Hare fable with anthropomorphic characters.
A Queen’s Tale (about 10,000 words, unpublished). This story is a humorous retelling of the fairy tale, Rumpelstiltskin. Written in First Person point of view, it follows the misadventures of Agnes as she rises from being a miller’s daughter to Queen.
Daniel J. Hogan is a geeky cartoonist and writer living in Michigan. Daniel is available for freelance writing and cartooning commissions (Contact Daniel). This post contains affiliate links, unless it doesn't.