Last minute gift shopping happens. Let’s not pretend it doesn’t. Even though I might say, “Oh yeah, I totally got you that Voltron set months ago,” I most likely didn’t. I’m not perfect. I have episodes of Ash vs. Evil Dead to watch and hundreds of hours of Fallout: New Vegas to play.
So, to help out other last-minute shoppers looking for The Perfect Gift, here’s a handy list. On the list, in no particular order, are cartooning and art supplies I think would make an excellent gift. Grab one, or all, for the cartoonist, artist, or illustrator in your life, young or old.
2017 Last Minute Art Supply Gift Guide
I’ll break this down by category, to make things easier. Skim away! NOTE: All of these items are eligible for Amazon Prime shipping at the time I wrote this.
- Adventures in Cartooning – A fun book that teaches you the basics of making comics. Aimed at younger readers, but I really enjoyed it and learned a few things. Highly recommended for kids (and adults!) interested in making comics. Buy on Amazon
- Drawing is Magic: Discovering Yourself in a Sketchbook – An interactive book that wants you to draw on its pages. This book is about learning to play around in a sketchbook and drawing for fun. Great for artists of any age. I have a copy and love it. Buy on Amazon
- Ed Emberley’s Drawing Book: Make a World – I love this “how to draw” book. It breaks objects down to simple shapes. Tons of things to draw, great for artists of any age, but especially little kids just learning. Buy on Amazon
- Growing Gills – An excellent how-to book on taking control of your creative life and making changes to improve creativity and productivity. Buy on Amazon
- Pentel Pocket Brush – A favorite brush pen. It takes some getting used to for newbies, but it is a lot of fun. Buy on Amazon / Read my review.
- Uniball Jetstream 0.7mm Ballpoint – My everyday carry pen. I use it for writing and sketching. Buy on Amazon / Read my review.
- Faber Castel PITT Pens (4 pack, black) – Every artist needs a good set of different sized pens for inking and drawing. These PITT pens are always useful, and part of my regular drawing tools. Comes with a good selection of sizes. Buy on Amazon
- Sakura Micron Pens (6 pack, black) – If the cartoonist on your shopping list likes to make super detailed drawings, get these pens. I also use these. Buy on Amazon
- Sakura Koi Field Sketch Set (12 colors) – A handy portable watercolor set, perfect for painting on the go. Make a good stocking stuffer! Sets with more colors are available too. Buy on Amazon / Read my Review
- Pentel Aquash Water Brushes (3 pack) – I love these water brushes. I’ve been using them pretty much exclusively for the past year. Pairs well with the watercolor kit above for painting on the go. Buy on Amazon / Watch a video
- Bee Paper Super Deluxe Sketch Pad (6×9) – My go-to sketchbook these days. While pricier than other sketchbooks, the paper is great for handling mixed media. An excellent gift for someone who uses watercolor, pen, pencil, markers, and more. Buy on Amazon / Read my review
- Fluid Easy Block Watercolor Paper Cold Press (4×6) – I use these blocks for original art I sell at shows and for commissions. Buy on Amazon